Thursday, December 13, 2012

This video is..... interesting?

So as I'm sure most of us are, I'm still pretty unsure about these two terms we've been hearing a lot about this semester: The Common Core and SLO. (At least I hope I'm not the only one this confused?!) And I know the only way to get answers when my professors don't really have the answers for me, or better yet, I don't really know what to ask exactly, is to turn to the HANDY, DANDY, INTERNET! The easiest way for me to understand things is through visual terms, so I figure, why not start on YouTube? (Watching a video is also so much more fun than reading, isn't it?)

This is one of the videos I stumbled across:


... I'm not really sure where to start. I guess maybe the pros? I can see how this video is slightly informative, giving a nice general idea of the main points of common core are. But why the robot voices? The first comment really summed up my thoughts, "School administrators are hoping their teachers will sound and act just like this!" Why do the teaches sound brainwashed? Why do they sound like they are reading from a script? It makes me feel like some Big Brother type personnel from either the school district or the state is forcing these teachers to have this type of conversation, to sell the idea of common core. It feels very info-mercial like, but if the common core and it's implementation will be so great for our schools and our students, why does it need this gimickey sale pitch?

I don't mean to sound like I don't understand the general benefits of the CC/SLO, or naive to the fact that changes like this have always been made, and will continue to be made throughout history in the field of education, because neither of those are the case. I think I'm just confused because this is all so new, and not many answers are out there yet. And although we've talked a little bit about it this semester, I haven't really seen it being implemented yet so I'm just not fully understanding it. I'm going to continue doing some research now because I know it's stuff I need to know, and it's going to show up a lot more in the future! I should probably focus on finishing my Unit Plan though.......


No comments:

Post a Comment