Friday, December 14, 2012

I'm Freaking Out About This Unit Plan Right Now...

DISCLAIMER: [Please, I need your feedback on this one! Theory and Practice kids, If you're going to read any one of my blog posts this should be it!!! - you can even skip to the bolded paragraphs if you want]

In case you don't already know this about me: Hi, I'm Jenn (everyone: "Hello Jenn") and I am a PROCRASTINATOR. If they had weekly meetings for this problem, sign me right up, because guess who has 2 and a half lessons to finish this weekend? I do. Whenever I have a semester long assignment (or any assignment that isn't due for a long time... hey, kind of like these blog posts!) I put it off for as long as I can, and then wait a little more, until finally it comes down to me losing sleep over it when I finally find the time and the mindset to sit down and do it.

In my defense, I do end up writing my best work when I'm under this kind of pressure, for whatever reason. That doesn't mean that I like this characteristic and that I do this to myself all the time, it's just the cold, hard, truth. I think what it really comes down to is that I get my best work done in the most efficient amount of time. When I know that I have a long time to complete an assignment and I try to get it done ahead of time, it just really never works. That's when I procrastinate, and I let myself get very easily distracted (to the point where I've actually considered whether or not I have an attention disorder). So I've learned that the only way I can really finish something in one sitting is if I wait and wait and wait until right before it's due. Then I can sit down with a clear head and work until it's done.

In my defense again, I know that with this semester in particular, I didn't put off these lessons for no reason - I've been working my butt off in all my classes, leaving no time between that and work to even sit down and really work on them. (These blog posts on the other hand, I have no excuse for, I really could have been writing one a week instead of finishing them all this month). But anyway, back to the point, I now have 2 lessons to complete, 3 teachers samples, and the daunting task of the CC/SLO assignment looming over all of them. I think another problem is that I just don't really know what I want to write these next two lessons on, and that's scared me into putting them off too.

The point of this post is to ask what you all (all of my measly 8 followers) think of this idea. (If anyone reads this I would really love to know your opinion, is basically what I'm saying). I have this cool idea for one of the lessons in my unit plan, but I don't know if it's stretching the unit them too much and that I should save it for another time.

So let me know what you think about this: my unit is on SLEEP, and my partner Megan and I did a lesson on nightmares together in our T&P class. I was thinking about doing one of the 3 lessons on dreams, but because dreams are so close to nightmares, I wanted to play with the word dreams and use its homophone instead, and base my lesson on the other kind of dreams. I wanted to do some kind of self-portrait based on students' dreams and aspirations, where and how they see themselves X amount of years in the future. I haven't chosen a medium yet but I am imagining these cool (probably 2D) busts of how students envision what they will be like, or want to be, in the future. Prospective self-portraits, I suppose. I know this kind of a lesson could fit really well in an Identity Unit, but can it work under Sleep too? Is using the homophone of dreams too much of a stretch, too unrelated to my sleep unit, to use as one of my 4 lessons? HELP ME, YOUR OPINIONS ARE NEEDED.

No comments:

Post a Comment