Arts in Education Week • National Art Education Association

So I stumbled upon something kind of interesting/surprising today that I feel the need to share. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the House of Representatives passed a resolution two years ago designating the second week of September as “Arts in Education Week.” "The resolution states: [...] Arts education, comprising a rich array of disciplines including dance, music, theatre, media arts, literature, design, and visual arts, is a core academic subject and an essential element of a complete and balanced education for all students." What surprised me most was not that our country would pass such a decree (woohoo, go USA for some awesome and well-deserved recognition!), but I was shocked that it has taken me until my FOURTH YEAR studying art education to find this information out!
How has this never been mentioned in any of our classes, ever?! I feel like it's a pretty cool thing that could have been talked about, I don't know, maybe one time? Although I do know that NAEA things aren't part of our curriculum, they are vital to art teachers and therefore, future art teachers also. I think it should be more pushed upon us to know current things going on in the NAEA world, and specifically, in NYSATA 7, (our region). I went to one meeting and got to meet a bunch of art teachers from around the state, and I felt really priveleged to by in a room full of my superiors, being that I had just started the art ed program that semester, really. I think this was a great opportunity and should be given to more students at least once in their time in the art ed program, because at least they have the option to get more involved in their own time. I also think that in Intro, Curriculum and Instruction and even Theory and Practice, NAEA updates should be mentioned more than they are. It's definitely been expressed to us the importance in staying up to date, but I don't think it should be left up to us on our own time to do the research that could lead to us not getting a job or the correct things for certification if we don't know the right information. I feel like particiaption and staying informed in NAEA/NYSATA 7 things/events/programs should be way more stressed, because of how beneficial it is to our futures, and especially considering that the yearly NYSATA 7 conference is held at our school! Just a thought, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment