I was talking to someone the other day about student teaching and taking those certification tests and applying to grad school and eventually finding jobs, and clearly, this conversation left me feeling more overwhelmed and nervous than I was before having it. Like most college students - particularly college seniors - probably feel around this time, I am constantly worrying about and stressing over what is going to happen in my future - especially when it comes to my career. (If I had a dollar for every time I told someone my major and they asked me WHY? told me to quit, or laughed at me, I probably wouldn't need to work at all!)
Besides those moments when talking to skeptics or people who just don't understand how much work it actually takes to be an art teacher, I am very happy in where my life is going and my college education this far. What makes me nervous is all of the things I still have left to accomplish before I can even start applying for the jobs that supposedly don't really exist. I have no idea what tests I need to take, when I should start taking them, or what I need to do to get into grad school (and where am I even going on that note?!)
I know that sharing these concerns on my blog won't actually fix anything or answer my questions, but it is something that I have been thinking about more and more as my days at new paltz (rapidly) come to an end. I'm also aware that changes like this have probably happened countless times in the past of art ed, and the only way to deal with them is to stay updated and do what you've gotta do when they tell you to, but I just feel so unsure all the time and that scares me. I don't know where I want to student teach (home on Long Island? the city?) and that's really the least of my worries; from what I hear from other people who are student teaching next semester, my questions will only increase. I just don't know who to go to with my questions when my professors and advisers don't even have the answers to many of them...
No comments:
Post a Comment