Thursday, September 22, 2011

Trimis and Savva Reading

I was wondering why the studies of these children were all done in Greece, where as most of the readings we have read this year revolve around students in the United States. Also, I think it would be really interesting to further the chorotopos investigation and have the three schools switch locations after visiting the one nearest to their own school. If schools A, B and C visited their own chorotopos, collected items, made projects, etc, and then switched locations, it may be interesting to see how the results compare. This also gives students the opportunity to see many different types of geographical and cultural places.

I think the ideas in this article (although very repetitive) are great ideas that art teachers (and teachers of all subjects) should definitely know about and incorporate whenever possible. If lessons or projects that happen in the classroom could then bring that knowledge out into the real world, it helps students fully understand what they are learning and turn that information into lasting skills and knowledge that they will take with them and always remember. When interacting in places outside of the classroom (particularly their clorotopos which have personal connections with the students) it helps students learn and experience things that cannot be taught inside a classroom. Overall I think this article did a great job explaining why this type of instruction is definitely beneficial to students, however a lot of the information seemed to be repeated throughout the article.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the article was very repetitive, but still informative and useful. I'd also like to see the same experiment done with children in the US, though I think the results would be exactly the same. I also think it would be interesting for the three schools to visit each other and then reflect on their findings together. I would be interested in seeing children from different cultural backgrounds reflecting on each others' environments together. It would certainly further their understanding of their own place and of their relation to chorotopos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you brought up the fact that it is done in Greece, and agree how it shows the universitality (I think I made that word up) of education. Like what Casey said, I would like to see children from different cultural backgrounds refelcting on not only each others environments (eg students in NYC vs students in Africa, England, China, etc.), but on their projects as well, seeing what other children of different backgrounds create artistically.

    ReplyDelete